For some people moving can be very exciting. For others however, moving can be an extremely stressful event. From hiring movers to cleaning and packing, moving can take the most out of you. That said, it is crucial not to forget one of the most important tasks in the moving process: changing your contact information.
During the chaotic times of packing your clothes, hiring movers, and making sure you don’t forget your favorite backyard vase behind, you might forget to update your contact information. This is an extremely important step in the moving process. You don’t want to have your bills and financial information sent to the wrong place!
Next, you should contact any government related entities, such as the DMV. Finally, make sure you update your address information for any company that sends you subscriptions. You don’t want to be paying for the Wall Street Journal and having them deliver it to the wrong home.
Aside from updating your contact information, make sure that you pack your items accordingly. Here are a few moving tips:
• Use the right size boxes—heavy items in small boxes and light items in larger boxes.
• Avoid mixing items—from different rooms in the same box
• Bundle breakables—add padding between them.
• Label each item—write a description of the room it belongs to and its contents.
• Don’t leave empty spaces—fill in gaps with clothing or packing papers.
There is so much to think about when planning a move. For more tips on making your move easier, check this infographic.